Friday 9 July 2010

In Statehouse Morrissey vies for 8th term


The Legislature has unfinished work, according to Bennington state Rep. Mary Morrissey, which is why she is seeking an eighth term in the Vermont House.
Morrissey, a Republican in the Bennington 2-2 district, said the past session presented considerable budget challenges because of the recession. Next session will feature similarly difficult budget woes. Yet, Morrissey said she is hoping to see the recovery through in an eighth term.
"I think there’s quite a bit of business that has been left undone," Morrissey said. "Each election cycle I seriously take the time to ... reassess where I am in my life and if my constituency would like me to return back. Quite honestly, this year, after coming off what was a relatively difficult session, I think I considered more kind of the good, the bad and the ugly of the session. I put my hat back in the ring to hopefully finish some of the work that needs to be done."
Morrissey said the economic downturn has led to a "real chance here to peel back the layers that government has put on" and determine how to move forward and "carve out how we’re going to serve our people, how we’re going to look at job creation and come out of what has been a very painful recession."
Lawmakers, in examining what services to provide, must also ensure that they serve Vermonters well, Morrissey said.
"I know my constituents strive to be able to really talk to someone. I know those are resources that we continue to look to cut back on and everyone will say, ‘Well, all states have.’ That’s why there needed to be an original plan. How do we see this getting done? What are the resources we need on the ground to actually serve our folks?"
Morrissey said she has concerns with Challenges for Change, an effort used by Republican Gov. James Douglas and the Legislature to make government more efficient.
Morrissey said agency commissioners and department heads should have been seeking efficiencies all along.
She said, "Efficiency and good government should be an everyday policy".
Morrissey said she would like to look the Legislature narrow the focus of legislation it passes. Lawmakers have taken to writing laws too broadly and in a way "that can be determined almost any which way you want it to be." She said constituents want to be assured that lawmakers have "done their homework" and have resources in place to pay for initiatives and laws they pass.
Helping connect constituents with people in state government who can help solve their problems has been the best part of the job, Morrissey said. "For me that’s a good day, when you’re able to make those connections or you’re able to work with someone hand in hand on issues you never, ever thought you were going to be dealing with," she said.
If re-elected, Morrissey said her constituents will continue to be her focus.
"The people are the government and I think we sometimes lose track of that. That’s what it should be about," she said. "The constituents are who I respond to. It’s not about a party. It shouldn’t be about a party."

No comments:

Post a Comment